Prep time: 20mins | Cook Time: 40mins | Serves: 8
2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup boiling water
For the Frosting:
1 cup salted butter, slightly softened
½ cup heavy cream
2 tsp mint extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
2 drops green food colouring
¼ cup semisweet chocolate, finely-chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F). Grease and flour two 8 x 9-inch pans.
2. In the bowl of a mixer, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together until fully combined. Add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then slowly stir in the boiling water. Pour batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake using the convectional function for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly touched in the centre.
4. Remove the cakes from the oven. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to finish cooling on wire racks.
5. Prepare the Frosting. In the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter, cream, and both extracts on medium speed until smooth. With mixer speed on low, slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until just combined. Add the food colouring and increase the speed to medium-high. Beat for a minute until the frosting is light, smooth, and fluffy. Add the chopped chocolate and beat on low until mixed. Frost cooled cakes.