Prep time: 20mins | Cook Time: 30mins | Serves: 6
400 g ziti or penne pasta
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
(about 2 small chicken breasts)
1 batch alfredo sauce (recipe below)
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
For the Toppings:
Parmesan cheese, shredded
fresh parsley, chopped
For the Alfredo Sauce:
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
3 Tbsp flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk
3/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp dried basil
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
2. In a large stockpot with well-salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain.
3. Return the pasta to the stockpot and add the chicken and alfredo sauce. Gently toss to combine until the pasta is evenly coated.
4. Pour half of the pasta into a greased 11x7-inch or 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the pasta evenly with 1 cup of the cheese. Layer the remaining half of the pasta on top. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/2 cup of the cheese.
5. Bake using the bottom heat function for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and just barely starts to turn golden.
6. Remove from the oven and serve immediately, sprinkled with additional toppings if desired.
HOW TO MAKE THE ALFREDO SAUCE
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, stirring occasionally until fragrant.
Sprinkle with the flour, and stir to combine.
Saute for another minute to cook the flour, stirring occasionally.
Slowly add the chicken broth, whisking to combine until smooth. Whisk in the milk, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
Cook for another minute until the broth has thickened.
Stir in the Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and dried basil; continue to cook until the cheese has melted.
Remove from the heat and set aside.